Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lovefest


      In a semi-whiney voice: “I’m surprised you haven’t written any posts about your dad!” 

           - Says the mother of my father, and one of my most favorite people in the whole entire universe – my grandma!   
      
      Biased a little…yes.

So here you go grandma:  you are an 84 (or maybe 85, I lose track) year old version of me!  More than once a week I call and come to find out we are doing the same thing, but you have popcorn accompanying your wine. 
We read books more frequent and faster than most. 
We say what’s on our mind before thinking of others’ feelings (or possibly not caring). 
We love life (even the most boringest of days) like it’s our job, and we can talk about absolutely nothing for hours while entertaining ourselves more than anyone else can. 

Yes.  I love you grandma more than most people in the world (you know this because we’ve talked about most); you’re so much more than my drinking buddy, confidante, girlfriend, and “sweet” (ha) old grandma – you’re my dad’s mom!

You’re too right my dad is something.  No, he’s not the indestructible, all-knowing, super human I once thought he was – he’s far better. 

He’s sensitive, sarcastic, and so special (sometimes yes, in that way).  He quietly observes, and only adds to the conversation when he really has something to say (SO opposite of us).  He goes out of his way and above and beyond the call of duty for those he really and truly cares about - which are few and far between (much like us), but if you’re lucky enough to be on the receiving end, you really feel as if you’re the only person that matters right then in the world.

He knows how to really enjoy life – whether that’s fishing alone, or eating and drinking with friends and family. 
He’s more loyal than any of the best dogs. 
He’s funny. So funny.  I wish more people saw this side of him – but again it’s reserved for those closest.  He’s one of the hardest workers I’ve ever met.  And best of all, when he’s happy (and ornery) that sparkle you love so much in his eyes grandma - never leaves.

I could go on forever – modest, ethical, friendly (well - with babies and dogs), honest (when not golfing), a guy’s guy, smart, permanently tan, etc.  But best of all he’s all mine (or at least that’s how I feel) because he:
  • Will always drop everything and rearrange his life to pack and move me (to-date: at least 6 times).
  • Takes in my dogs and cats, all while complaining, but really loving them as his own (he now delivers and picks-up too!).
  • Spent every one of his birthdays for a good 10 years in the cold (which he hates) and in costume (which he really hates).  Happy Halloween. Um I mean birthday dad.
  • Has never said no, no matter the time of day to: picking me up, fixing something, or taking me somewhere (obviously I’ve lived a post childhood life of unreliable cars and apartments).
  • Growing up he did everything in the world to provide us with all the silly and “oh so important” teenage “needs”.  Even though I now know we weren’t – I always felt like millionaires.
  • Paid for four years of college for me.  To his ultimate rival.
  • Has only yelled at me twice. And both times I really deserved it.  Really.
  • Makes the best chipped beef on toast in the world.
  • Oh, and did I mention he has touched and lifted every item I own.  Six times.
  • Finally, I know that if I ever need anything (absolutely anything) I know he’ll do it without any questions asked (sounds very mafia-like, but oh so true). 
Yup. You Smith’s are really something.  I always wished I was from those big families with all the crazies – but you know what I don’t need it. I have drama-free wonderful role models in my life (that are still a bit crazy). 

I’m so lucky. I can’t say it enough. I know. I have a great life. All because I had the best people in the world raising me.  I can never pay any of you back. And let’s be honest, I never will ;)  So let’s just chalk this one up to “paying it forward”.  I love you all. 

And there you have it grandma – anyone else you need me to include in this lovefest?! 

A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.   
~Author Unknown

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.  
~Clarence Budington Kelland

2 comments:

  1. Jenna, I love your Lovefest! Can I join in? You are an amazing person and I know your Grandma is an extra special lady. Now we hear all these wonderful things about your Dad. How sweet! It made me shed some tears. I'm rather emotional at times. You couldn't have a better Dad and your Grandma couldn't have a nicer son. He does so much for all of you.

    Yes, You have left someone out of your unique family - your Aunt Cindy! She has all the wonderful attributes of your Grandma and your Dad. She just does it on a large scale - for all of Arkansas City. She is such a wonderful organizer, planner, and friend. I truly believe she keeps things happening in Action City socially.

    I've never seen anyone work as hard as she does on fund raising events for her church and town. She gives so much of herself. I'm so lucky to have had her as a friend for the past 20+ years.

    Even though I haven't lived in Kansas for the last 10 years I know she'd drop everything if I needed her. She is that special.

    May I plagiarize a little (sorry) a saying of Suzy Toronto in expressing my feelings about your Aunt Cindy.

    Anyone who says she doesn't need a girlfriend just hasn't found a good one yet. Cindy is my biggest critic, head cheerleader, and favorite sounding board all rolled into one.

    My life is infinitely more fun, exciting, joyous, peaceful, wacky, and real simply because Cindy is in it.

    Cindy wants to do it all, see it all, and taste it all. There are so many wonders of the world, and by golly, she wants an insider's look at each one!

    Her passport is always current, and the best time of her life is when she's packed and ready to go. I love traveling with her and I've got great photos to back that up.

    So Jenna this is my addition to your Lovefuest - what a great family you have and you my dear is living proof of those wonderful family genes. Thanks for always sharing your life with us.

    Your friend, Anna Bird

    I'm so blessed that Cindy is my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this additional lovefest entry Anna!! You're completely right-on about Cindy (and Curt)! I'm so happy to have met you through them - am also looking forward to hearing more about next summer's big adventure for you two!

    ReplyDelete