Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It's Complicated


Reallyyyyy…it’s almost August…which means the summer, my favorite season in the whole wide world, is nearly over!  Noooooo! It can’t be! 

What have I done (besides not write on this thing)?  I guess thinking it over...between pool parties, Nationals Games (yes I’m a semi-convert; hey they have WAY better food and bars at the stadium AND I can still wear all my red outfits), my birthday, the 4th of July, book club, one epic boozy brunch at La Boum, Bocce Ball league (don’t judge), Flag Football games (again…no judging), and a few current, terrible weeks without AC, all added to my trips to the Outer Banks, Atlanta, and one long train ride (36 hours to be exact) to New Orleans…then, I suppose throw in a little work, and it’s true; it is almost August. 

Sad times. 

At least I still have a few more weeks - or months - if this sauna of a season keeps up!

“Summer is kind of like the ultimate one-night stand: hot as hell, totally thrilling, and gone before you know it.”

Ha.  Which is the perfect transition to this…Why does dating as a grown-up (yes contrary to popular belief I am one) have to be so dang hard?! 

It’s complicated.

Trust me I’m not complaining, as I don’t really “try” or do I actively “look” for anyone (obviously I don’t have the time to fit it into my schedule), but geez finding boys used to be so much simpler! …Or maybe that’s just it; in my younger days, I didn’t use to have any standards and dated just that “boys”…which obviously worked out really well for me!

Like I said, I don’t generally give dating a second thought, but with the passing of what would have been my 10 year wedding anniversary one month ago, and the majority of my friends in relationships and/or having babies – I’ll admit I’ve thought about it a bit more lately.  

Luckily I don’t “long” for a relationship…and I know this because the second after I look longingly at a cute couple on the street my brain immediately says, “Ugh who wants that!  Relationships are so much work and most of the time not even worth it! And they probably aren’t even REALLY happy…”  Howeverrrrr I wouldn’t mind a guy actually asking me out!  Dating – that I can do!  But seriously, finding someone I actually want to date is damn near like finding the holy grail, or the fountain of youth, or whatever else is pretty much non-existent!  

I guess then I should consider myself lucky…as I do like my “me” time.  I like not shaving when I don’t feel like it.  I like being untidy.  I like eating entire bags of cheddar cheese popcorn in one sitting (while in my underwear).  I ALSO like wearing granny panties. I could go on with this list forever. But the gist of it is: I like not sharing everything from my food to my feelings (yes I’ve reverted to a 3 year old and am somewhat okay with it)!

Yup.  It’s complicated.

Funny story - a few weeks ago a single girlfriend and I were chatting and she said something about how she was going to start hanging around doctor offices and courtrooms…and I whole-heartedly agreed.  Only come to find out she was looking for the actual doctors and lawyers…where I was more thinking about finding all the old, dying, rich men and divorcees! 

Either way, doctors or dying men, I think I’ve come to a point in my life where I am happy (and set in my ways obviously) that I no longer feel the need entertain the thought of dating whomever shows up in my life – I’m gonna be picky!  I mean - I really do not have the time for these short, self-involved, stuck-up DC man-children! 

I will tell you what’s not complicated: Manchild v. Mason…hands-down I’ll always pick the dog (and I'm talking about the literal dog, Mason)

And if all else fails…the good news is I do like cats! ;)

Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you're pretty sexy and you're taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with.
~ Sex and the City

No, I don't have a boyfriend. No, I don't need a boyfriend. I am enough. And I am complete just the way I am. I choose to be single, just like I choose to not listen to people who make marriage seem like the only possible pinnacle a life can have.
~ Lauren Rohrer

Being single entitles you to not ask someone's opinion before you do something to mess up your own room, your credit report or even your life.
~ Sayali Patil

It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.
~ George Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment